Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Attack of the killer kettle bell

Friends, I had a thought as I read this blog. I should begin recording my workouts here. Writing about them will keep a good record of my achievements and areas of improvement since I literally write NOTHING down.

Today's WOD (Workout Of the Day):

Black Box WOD/Beginner WOD:  
A1: Push Press 4×3
A2: 30-second goblet squat hold x4 sets

B: 4 rounds: 3-minute AMRAP of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 situps; rest 1 minute between rounds


A1: My group started our first working set at a comfortable weight and tried to increase the weight each time: 53#, 63#, 73#, 73#
  • 73# felt really heavy and I'm not sure I could safely add any more weight, so I kept it there for our last set.
A2: I used a 12kg kettle bell for our goblet squat holds

B: I did pullups with a green band (higher resistance = more assistance = easier) since my hands are getting crazy calloused from all the pullups I've been doing. I'm glad I did, because I learned that I have to kip (ie, swing or use momentum) quite a bit while using the blue bands (lower resistance = less assistance=harder) and I didn't really have the room for that today. I started the first round doing unassisted pushups, but I couldn't keep that up the whole time, so most were done on my knees. Damn, that minute of rest went fast.
  • Round 1: Two rounds + 5 pullups
  • Round 2: Two rounds + 5 pullups
  • Round 3: Two rounds + 4 pullups
  • Round 4: Two rounds + 5 pullups
Each round of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 situps equaled 30, so score was determined by how many reps were completed in each round. My score: 65, 65, 64, 65.

How'd I feel? Good, not great. My legs are still sore from Sunday's killer kettle bell workout.

Today, Coach Will gave us a worksheet for us to write down our personal, health, and career goals for the next one, three, and six months. This workout definitely served to highlight some things I need to work on.

Things to improve:
  1. Sleep more -- right now, I average about 5-6 hours/night. This is a recurring problem for me.
  2. Pullups -- I just want one by this time next year.
  3. Double unders -- I get one or two at random now, but I want to possess the skill of being able to string together double unders at will.
  4. Handstand pushups -- still lacking the shoulder strength to do these properly.
  5. Speed -- I'm a slow mo' f*cka. Gotta catch up.
This actually took a lot of time, so I'm not sure I'll remain consistent. But, I'm sure gonna try!

Here's to being bad,

-t


 

No comments:

Post a Comment