Monday, April 22, 2013

Oats 'n Orchids

Well, I want to pull my hair out. I just accidentally deleted this entire post after working on it all morning.

This is how I feel.


Moving on.

I had such an eventful weekend that I'll have to break it up into more than one post. Crazy, right?! 




 Since my IT band has been really tight from all the running, I made sure to get some yoga in on Friday. 

But, before I did, I munched on some of these freeze dried fruit snacks.

Unlike regular dried fruit, there's no added sugar or acids that I can't pronounce.

Zing.












After a very relaxing yoga sesh, I rushed uptown to the New York Botanical Gardens' Orchid Show.











 The idea is very cool: cocktails and dance music in an atrium surrounded by orchids.

But, we basically walked around a very loud and crowded club dressed up as a greenhouse. I think I would rather go during the day and enjoy the peace and quiet. 

The event was just trying too hard.












We had our drinks...















...and took our pictures.

Then we peaced out for some quiet wine drinking and tortilla eating closer to home.













Oatmeal is my go to Saturday morning, pre-run breakfast and I've been enjoying the baked version a lot lately. It's super easy and a nice change from the usual.

This is pre-oven.







This is post-oven.


Cinnapple Baked Oats
(adapted from this recipe)

1/2 cup rolled oats
scant 1/2 cup water
1/2 apple, chopped
cinnamon
dash of salt
2-3 drops liquid stevia
peanut butter (optional, but recommended)
maple syrup (optional, but recommended)


 
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 380 degrees
  2. Mix first 6 ingredients
  3. Plop into greased, oven-safe ramekin
  4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until center is firm
  5. Turn broiler on and cook for 3-5 more minutes
  6. Top with goodies and eat eat eat





I like to pop mine out of the ramekin onto a plate so I can hold it. But, you can eat it right out of there -- especially if you've been looking for a legitimate reason to burn your fingerprints off. Somehow I forgot this thing was hot on Saturday and actually picked it up. It hurt. Also, don't forget to turn off the oven. Important step.





After my run, we met up with some friends to experience the glory and wonder that is...




It's like an eating party. With all of the best restaurants and food trucks in attendance. 

Separate post to come. There's just too much to say...











We had a very light dinner on Saturday...a classy cheese plate with some wine.

There were some leftovers in there too, but they weren't quite as picturesque.














Sunday morning I made a raspberry version of baked oats and instantly decided that this might be my new favorite pastime.





It was absolutely gorgeous out yesterday, so we stepped out into the sun and enjoyed it. 

I will never ever get sick of seeing the flowers bloom.

Love an NYC Spring.
 

Stay tuned for a recap of everything I ate at Smorgasburg...I'm drooling just thinking of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment