Wednesday, May 15, 2013

It's wednesday already?!

Wow, the week has just flown by, hasn't it? I'm just sitting down to write a recap of the weekend and Mother's Day, but it's already Wednesday! I can't even keep up. 

I sort of mix-n-matched some recipes and came up with a DELICIOUS frittata for our Mother's Day brunch festivities.




Bacon Swiss Chard Frittata


1 bunch swiss chard
5 slices bacon
1 sweet potato
8 eggs




I sliced up a sweet potato (you could also do chunks) and roasted the pieces in a 400 degree oven for about 40/45 minutes. Don't slice them too thin or they'll be sweet tater chips. 

While those are cooking, throw the bacon in a pan over medium heat and let them cook. Remove the pieces to a separate plate to cool and keep about 1-2 tbsp of bacon fat in the pan (I keep the extra to use later).

After they're done roastin', layer your taters on the bottom of a greased or sprayed 9-inch round pan or an 8x8 square pan. Turn your oven down to 350 degrees.




Throw your swiss chard into the hot bacon fat and let it cook until it's a tasty-lookin' dark green color.

Chop up your bacon and whisk up your eggs.

If you are either watching calories/cholesterol or are out of whole eggs, use 2 egg whites per egg.

Layer the chard atop the taters and half the bacon atop the chard. Pour your whisked eggy goodness on top and then sprinkle the remaining bacon bits on top.

Cook for 20-30 min.




Check the frittata often once it's in the oven. I actually forgot to set the timer, so I don't actually know how long this was in there for. At some point, I just realized I had thrown it in without setting the timer. So, I just kept checking until the middle wasn't jiggly. These frittata things are pretty easy to read like that.







I made an easy blueberry maple syrup (1.5 cups frozen blueberries + 1/2 cup maple syrup + 5 minutes boiling on the stove = DELISH) to go along with my favorite pancake recipe.



I made banana pancakes and just a few unbanana ones for my BIL (bro-in-law) who doesn't like nanners.

WHO DOESN'T LIKE NANNERS?!

I was in a rush to get brunch on the table, so these were mighty messy cakes, but they tasted AMAAAAAAZING.

Per usual.








My in-laws brought some bagels and fruit and we had a mega meal in our tiny apartment. 















I had leftover frittata over some spinach for lunch this week and I am determined to roast some sweet tater chunks in leftover bacon fat because LET ME TELL YOU -- that combo is bitchin'.











I also mixed up some of that leftover blueberry syrup with some greek yogurt for a snack yesterday.





I'm planning an experimental Blueberry Cheesecake Greek Frozen Yogurt recipe in the near future. 

This simply needs to be duplicated.





Lastly, I made another batch of Juli's sweet tater brownies.

This time, I used the right kind o' taters and they were amazing. They were good last time too, but these were sans tater chunks, which is preferable.

I like tricking people into eating healthy food. 

Everyone loved them, but we didn't eat them all.

Sokay, MORE FOR ME.





Hope you're all having a happy hump day. Check ya later.


No comments:

Post a Comment