Thursday, May 2, 2013

DC Food & Fun


So sorry it's taken me so long to post! I'm the worst. Let's recap.

This past weekend, I ran the inaugural Nike Women's Half Marathon in Washington, DC with my family! We had such a good time with plenty of face-stuffing fun and a little sightseeing. Let's recap!





 We found this incredible tapas place with an even more incredible lunch deal: unlimited tapas for $25/person. 

I think they actually lost money on us because, like me, my family can eat.

And we were adding calories to prepare for our race anyway, so this was a win-win sitch for us.








We ate a lot. 

I can't recap it all, but there was some good eats in there. 

We went back for seconds.

















 We visited the White House where we could actually see the Secret Service agents on the roof.

So cool and terrifying at the same time.





 I think the Lincoln Memorial might have been my favorite. 








He just seems like my kinda guy.

They had his speeches inscribed on the walls and it was truly incredible to read and imagine what a ground-breaking moment that must have been.







The weather was perfect, so we walked outside a lot and enjoyed it.

I was amazed to see what a green city DC is.

Although I love NYC, DC's greenery is really vast and spread out and it was just nice to relish in all the space.

Sound cray? If you live in NYC, you know what I mean.

For the race, my mom and I planned to run at a comfortable pace since my IT band was killing me (before we even started running) and it was her first race in a while. I finished a little slower than my last half, but I was happy with my results: 2:20. Last race, I finished in 2:16, but I'll try harder next time...

My mom and I stuck together the whole time. Two peas. She was a great coach -- I definitely had trouble running the last two miles and I couldn't have done it without her!







Upon my return, I got right back into my breakfast routine with a batch of oatmeal with a chopped plum mixed in...











...and, of course, a dollop of peanut butter atop.







I also made this banana/peanut butter recipe again and munched on a few for breakfast this morning.


If you haven't tried this incredibly easy and scrumptious recipe yet, you should get on it.








Other recent eats:







 Leftover mash.

Rice & beans + balsamic spinach quinoa salad + roasted chicken + salsa







Looks gross, tastes great.

Like almost anything that's good for you.






 We also attended a Yankees game where a few in our party decided to indulge in this monstrosity.

That would be a bucket of fries topped with sliders. 








 A bucket of fries calls for a shit ton of ketchup.






 Although I know how bad these are, I couldn't help but scarf half the bucket. 

Moderation at its finest.


Coming up next, I have a fabulous baked oatmeal recipe to share, so be on the lookout!

A preview...



It's sad that I have to write a whole separate post for these because of all the pictures I've taken. But, you'll thank me. These little nuggets are amazing and customizable! You'll love me after this -- if you don't already...










No comments:

Post a Comment